The word “umoya” is derived from the Sotho word “moya” meaning spirit or wind. Umoya offers a wind of change sweeping across vulnerable and underpriviledged communities throughout the eastern Free State, bringing hope and lasting change. We are a South African non-profit organisation (NPO) empowering people to a place of self reliance through sport and education. Umoya also assists in creating a safe place to live and study for vulnerable children and youth.
We see empowered individuals from underpriviledged communities breaking the cycle of poverty and hopelessness through engaging in Umoya’s sustainable community run social programs.
- Excellence — in all that we do
- Leadership — raising local leaders in the name of sustainability
- Restoration — restore things to a place of functionality
- Transformation — transform from functionality to beyond what is imaginable (life altering effectiveness)
- Empowerment — not only supplying the necessary tools for change, but also offering opportunities to communities to use these tools.